Re: [ietf-dkim] detecting header mutations after signing

2010-10-08 15:19:12
If I understand things correctly, the solution is already available
in DKIM today.  It involves signer configuration (sign for N+1
instances of each header that is covered by the signature) and
requires no change in protocol or semantics. It merely hardens the
DKIM signature and I see nothing wrong with doing so.

If I am mistaken then please correct me.

It depends on the Application implementation of DKIM.

What I describe would be a best practice application of DKIM
mechanisms that already exist.

Mail is signed as if there are N+1 instances of each header that
is covered by the DKIM signature.  The verifier will then fail if
any such header is added after-the-fact.

With this, there is no need to rely on enforcement mechanisms
outside DKIM, such as the correct implementation of RFC 5322.

        Wietse