Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and patents

2010-10-16 01:20:58
On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 02:54:13PM +1200, Franck Martin allegedly wrote:
I found today this patent:

US PATENT 7487217
http://www.docstoc.com/docs/57449330/Network-Domain-Reputation-based-Spam-Filtering---Patent-7487217

but then it seems prior art existed in the form of DKIM (which was started
around 2004 http://news.domainmonster.com/dkim-email/)

DKIM largely derives from DomainKeys which largely derives from US
Patent 6,986,049 filed in Sep 2003. In 2004 the IPR was bequeathed to
the IETF by the Assignee (aka my employer at the time).

See: https://datatracker.ietf.org/ipr/693/
and
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=9&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=delany.INNM.&OS=IN/delany&RS=IN/delany

Given the timing, clearly the 2005 filing of 7,487,217 you mention
cannot encroach on the prior filings of DomainKeys. If anything it's
around the other way as 6,986,049 could invalidate 7,487,217.

But, IANAL and I never want to be one. I am just stating known facts
here.

Mark.