Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and patents

2010-10-18 12:15:06
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Mark Delany
Sent: Friday, October 15, 2010 11:19 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and patents

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 02:54:13PM +1200, Franck Martin allegedly
wrote:
I found today this patent:

US PATENT 7487217 http://www.docstoc.com/docs/57449330/Network-
Domain-Reputation-based-Spam-Filtering---Patent-7487217

but then it seems prior art existed in the form of DKIM (which was
started around 2004 http://news.domainmonster.com/dkim-email/)

DKIM largely derives from DomainKeys which largely derives from US
Patent 6,986,049 filed in Sep 2003. In 2004 the IPR was bequeathed to
the IETF by the Assignee (aka my employer at the time).
[...]

I'm not sure the PTO wouldn't just decide they're orthogonal.  DK and DKIM are
about identity and authorization, not reputation.

Having been through the patent process, I can say for sure it's a lot of
buzzword bingo anyway in terms of eligibility and enforcement.