Re: [ietf-dkim] How MUAs render mail

2010-10-18 14:06:24
-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Dave CROCKER
Sent: Monday, October 18, 2010 11:50 AM
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] How MUAs render mail

Folks making assertions about what MUAs should do need to gain some background
in UXE and usability design, starting with cognitive models for UIs. They
should pay particular attention to the repeated observation that users
understand little of what they see from the system and care about
understanding
it little.  (This observation is not specific to MUAs or even computer
interface
design.  The design of control environments often is more a task of /reducing/
information than of increasing it, due to limitations of human processing,
especially in real time.)

I would go one step further and suggest that we should give MUA designers
credit that they have done this research.  If we find that to be too generous,
then I will joyfully concede that at least I have not done, and do not wish to
do, that kind of research; I'm happy to leave it to them to do or not do.

This only reinforces my desire to treat DKIM like an API; export all the
information we get from the verification process and let other components deal
with filtering or rendering.  It's outside of our purview.