Re: [ietf-dkim] the usual misunderstanding about what DKIM promises

2010-10-22 20:45:45
DKIM makes no statement about the validity of a "sender" address.
d/
I guess I should have said Author address.

DKIM makes no statement about the validity of an Author address.

In practice, if I look at mail with yahoo.com author addresses for example,
I find that with DKIM yahoo.com signatures, they're about a million times
less likely to be forged than without those signatures. That's not to say
that yahoo.com forbid forgery, but they may find that their mail stream
reputation improves if they take measures to prevent forgery.

Sure.  Yahoo goes to some effort to verify that its mail users control
the addresses they use, by sending a test message with a URL the user
has to click.  But that's a characteristic of what Yahoo does which
you could tie to a d=yahoo.com signature, not of DKIM in general.

I make no attempt at all to control my users' From: lines, since I
know them all and don't expect them to misbehave.  I do put in trace
info to tell who sent what, but you can't tell that from my DKIM
signatures, either.

R's,
John