Re: [ietf-dkim] double header reality check

2010-10-20 15:17:34
MH Michael Hammer (5304) wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Murray S. Kucherawy
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 1:55 PM
To: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] double header reality check

<SNIP>

There has been talk of applying DKIM to technologies like
Usenet and HTTP output.  Packing DKIM with mail-specific
verification requirements could prevent such things from happening.
Shall we also add a "but only when used in the email context" clause?

Seeing as the M in DKIM stands for Mail, we don't have to put a "but
only when used in the email context" clause. If a DKIM like approach is
used for other protocols then we might reasonably text specific to those
protocols - DKIH (Domain Keys Identified HTML as an example).

I guess because we are already integrated with different mail formats,
I don't see the difference other than having implementation specific
setup features.

For example a signing setup with a target rule

         Signer Domain::Target Domain

where the association will enforce certain headers to be signed.

In the case of usenet (or nntp specifically), the considerations might be:

    - enforce Path: header
    - enforce (maybe) Newsgroups: header
    - relaxed signing To: header (since its To: ALL for news)

But if you want to see how email is gated into public newsgroup areas,
check out

(use an anonymous account to login).

You will see how newsgroups are used for various list. One for the
IETF-DRAFT submissions and other list areas shown as local public
newsgroups.

One of interest where DKIM is used is the SPF-DISCUSS list/newsgroup
where you can see the 10/17/2010 article titled:

       [spf-discuss] SPF Mail Summary Report

and if you view the message source and headers, you will see the
Authorization-Results: header:

   dkim=pass header.i=listbox.com header.d=listbox.com header.s=launch;
   adsp=fail policy=all author.d=winserver.com asl.d=listbox.com
(unauthorized signer);
   dkim=fail (DKIM_BODY_HASH_MISMATCH) header.i=winserver.com
header.d=winserver.com header.s=tms1;
   adsp=pass policy=all author.d=winserver.com signer.d=winserver.com
(originating signer);

When our system generated the weekly Summary Report, it was DKIM
signed and exported  to the spf-discuss mailing list. The list server
than broke and resigned it and when the copy came back to us, it will
DKIM verified and put into the newsgroup area.

--
Hector Santos, CTO
http://www.santronics.com