Re: [ietf-dkim] Re-thinking the organization of the DKIM spec

2011-01-15 11:57:32
On Thursday, January 13, 2011 02:48:14 pm Barry Leiba wrote:
... And at some point between now and then, please make it clear
where you stand on the question, so we can fairly judge consensus.

-1 on splitting now.

For two primary reasons:

1.  While the proposed split doesn't affect the maturity of DKIM, the maturity
of having got the split correct is a different matter.  Until there are
multiple users of the split out DOSETA functionality, I think it's premature
for it to be advancing along the standards track.

2.  While the intent of clearly to maintain DKIM as it is through the split,
without a stable set of specifications to compare the split documents to (and
implementation experience based on the split documents) it's difficult to
really know if any inadvertent incompatibilities have been introduced.

My preferred approach would to be to complete the current charter work item
based on finishing the unitary specification and then work on the split as a
new work item (after rechartering).  I don't think that precludes interested
parties from continuing work on DOSETA in the mean time.

Scott K