Re: [ietf-dkim] If DKIM would ignore [] at the beginning of the subject line

2011-03-30 23:22:09
On 31Mar11, Franck Martin allegedly wrote:
Silly question (?):

Knowing that many mailing lists add [topic] at the beginning of the Subject
line, what if DKIM was set to ignore that part when signing/verifying?

Would it help to solve the problem of broken signature thru mailing lists?

In part. What you are doing is indirectly addressing mailing list
canonicalization. If I may be so bold, I think the Cisco innovation of
l= does much the same for another aspect of list mail.

But maybe this piecemeal/generalized approach to mailing lists is not
the right way? For example, is l= really useful outside of lists? Is
your [] solution useful outside of lists?

Instead, what if we invented a canonicalization specifically for lists
that recognized the content munging of lists as first-class behavior
that encompassed things like l= and [] and other typical list munging?

If your "Silly question" suggests a list canonicalization, then, IMO,
it's a pretty interesting idea.

Mark.