Re: [ietf-dkim] If DKIM would ignore [] at the beginning of the subject line

2011-03-31 11:44:48

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-dkim-bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org [mailto:ietf-dkim-
bounces(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Al Iverson
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2011 11:52 AM
To: <ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org>
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] If DKIM would ignore [] at the beginning of
the subject line

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 6:58 AM, Murray S. Kucherawy
<msk(_at_)cloudmark(_dot_)com> wrote:

That's also something we considered when talking to the Mailman
people.  But again, this is really a small percentage of what causes
author signatures on list mail to break.

Anyway, the list should be signing messages after adding subject
line
prefixes, and after adding body footers. It's the list's signature,
and
the list's reputation that need to be assessed by the recipient.
There
are many other modifications that a list might make (like stripping
attachments, body prefixes, and so on) that would make l= useless.

I think the MLM document makes all of this stuff pretty clear
already.

It does to me; it seems like dropping the original signature and
signing with the list manager site signature is the appropriate way to
go. I don't think I'd want to know that there is a use case where my
DKIM signature still passes after somebody modified headers. Good
intent aside, I see it being used for bad purposes too easily.

If you're worried about DKIM signing spam sent to the list address,
then that's a bit of a different problem, and it has a different,
non-DKIM-related solution.

Cheers,
Al Iverson

+1