Re: [ietf-dkim] Issue: Repeated headers

2011-04-25 06:21:23
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 23:15:52 +0100, Barry Leiba
<barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>
wrote:

Yes indeed. We discussed lots of wording for all of this, and the one
that
has got into the document is about the worst.

Your objection is noted.

Note that I have escalated this to as Issue. DKIM is broken if we do not
get this right.

This is reopening a closed discussion, and the chair considers that
inappropriate and unwarranted at this stage.  It has been decided.  I
appreciate that you disagree with the decision, and that will be noted
in the PROTO writeup when I do it.

There may be a rough consensus for the present text, but my understanding
of the IETF procedures is that "rough consensus" is always trumped by Hard
Technical Facts.

And I ASSERT that the following is a Hard Technical Fact:

    Where a Vewrifier is minimally compliant with the present draft,
    in particular if it omits any test for repeated headers (there is
    no REQUIREMENT for such a test), then a phisher can easily devise
    a message which, in the majority of current MUAs, will be displayed
    as "From: service(_at_)paypal(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk" and which will pass
through that
    verifier unscathed. This is true whether or not paypal.co.uk has
    declared a Discardable ADSP policy and that Verifier implements ADSP.

I have described this attack several time on this List, and yet it still
works. Hence the present draft can only be described as unfit-for-purpose.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131
   Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: chl(_at_)clerew(_dot_)man(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk      Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.