Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary

2011-04-29 21:30:33
Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 4:37 PM
To: Rolf E. Sonneveld
Cc: Murray S. Kucherawy; ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary

Indeed, the chickens have come to roost. This was ill-conceived at the
time of the errata, and it is ill-conceived here. It is yet another reason
why I believe that the protocol described in 4871bis only bears passing
resemblance to 4871 and interoperation will be purely coincidental.

I don't agree.  I don't know of any current implementations that would be
hampered by what's being done here.

Current implementations are irrelevant. They will completely and utterly ignore
what is in
4871bis, because they are done and work fine. The problem is whether we've
introduced problems
which will cause new implementations to not interoperate with current
implementations. Given
the huge number of changes, it's impossible to tell without getting real life
data.

This wholesale rewrite of 4871 needs to cause the document to be recycled to PS
so that we
can have evidence that we haven't broken something. There is far too small an
audience to
vet the changes going on here, and few if any of them are writing code from it.

Going to DS isn't an invitation to change all of the things the few remaining
interested
parties didn't like in PS. But that's what I see going on here.

Mike