Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary

2011-04-29 21:37:56
-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Thomas [mailto:mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:25 PM
To: Murray S. Kucherawy
Cc: ietf-dkim(_at_)mipassoc(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary

Current implementations are irrelevant. They will completely and
utterly ignore what is in
4871bis, because they are done and work fine. The problem is whether
we've introduced problems
which will cause new implementations to not interoperate with current
implementations. Given
the huge number of changes, it's impossible to tell without getting
real life data.

I quite agree that there's lots of text that's changing, but I'm having trouble
finding much in the way of actual protocol change.  Most of the changes I can
recall have to do with dropping advice or technical context that was simply
incorrect or poorly stated given the hindsight we now have.  Fixing all of that
can only help future implementations.

This is why moving to DS is not allowed if we add stuff, only if we remove
stuff.  So far, unless I've missed something, that's all we've done.