Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary - proposing ODID "Originating Domain Identity"

2011-05-04 07:07:07
For a scenario where a caller is calling a DKIM milter which in turn calls an
API, this is all true. But DKIM will be/is deployed in many more scenarios.

Indeed, but you're misunderstanding the point of a standard.  The DKIM
spec tells signers how to create a signature that recipients can verify,
and it tells verifiers how to check whether a signature is valid.  The
spec is not an implementation guide for every possible implementation
scenario.

We're allowed to assume that the spec will be implemented by reasonably
competent programmers.  I think reasonably competent includes figuring how
to maintain or communicate the external state needed to do what you want
to do.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",