Re: [ietf-dkim] Output summary - proposing ODID "Originating Domain Identity"

2011-05-04 10:19:26
Michael,

On 5/4/2011 7:58 AM, Michael Thomas wrote:
This is a good example of why this effort has come off the rails.
Going from 4871 to DS should have been a fairly straightforward
effort considering the high degree of interoperability we achieved.
Instead of just removing a few unused features, we've seen a
wholesale rewrite when one was manifestly not needed. Worse,
is that when that history is mentioned it is either disregarded
or sneered at by the senior editor. That is a problem.

"Wholesale rewrite"?  Well, that should be easy for you to document, given how
convenient it is to point to the existing diffs.  The task when citing a
problem
with changes is to point to /specific/ changes that are problematic.  That
requires some work.

In particular, please cite normative differences.

As for the particular difference between rfc4871's statement of DKIM's purpose
and rfc4871bis' statement, you might want to review the language in the Service
Overview and the Deployment documents.  On this issue, the working group's
learning process has been incremental and well documented.

As for 'sneering' at history, please do cite that occurrence, too.  Please
distinguish between citing history versus sneering at it.  Explaining the
criteria that qualifies as 'sneering' would be helpful.

I am also surprised to discover that we have any junior editors or, for that
matter, that editors are distinguished by seniority.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking