Re: [ietf-dkim] DKIM and mailing lists

2011-05-12 05:06:22

On 12 May 2011, at 06:47, John R. Levine wrote:

I think You miss to state the important point that MLMs usually preserve
the RFC5322.From when sending the email to the subscribers except in
digest mode where it replaces it by the list-owner(?) email.

This is why ADSP fails, otherwise if the RFC5322.From was replaced we
would have no issues with ADSP.

As I tried to say tactfully in the draft, mailing lists have worked just
fine for 40 years, so if DKIM or ADSP don't work with mailing lists, it's
not because the lists are broken.

I think I agree with this. I get very little spam from mailing lists, and very
little spam purporting to be from mailing lists that I subscribe to.

ADSP seems to be carrying on the SPF tradition of claiming that it's
everyone else's fault that it doesn't work.

On the other hand, I still get a lot of spam. To me, that's prima facie
evidence that email needs fixing. I use, and like, the additional information
that SPF publishers give me.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex