[ietf-dkim] Fwd: Request to move RFC 5617 (ADSP) to Historic

2013-09-11 18:55:40
Folks,

Barry has agreed to sponsor the enclosed status change.

He would like to see discussion formal request.

(If you've already responded to my /in/formal query earlier today on the
dmarc@ietf list, please now lodge any formal comments you wish to make
on either of the two lists here.

d/

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Request to move RFC 5617 (ADSP) to Historic
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 16:09:14 -0700
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>
To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba(_at_)computer(_dot_)org>,  Pete Resnick
<resnick(_at_)episteme-software(_dot_)com>

Folks,

This is a formal request, to have DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
Author Domain Signing Practices (ADSP) (RFC 5617) moved to Historic status.

It has garnered almost no deployment and use, in the 4 years since its
advancement to IETF Proposed Standard.

In addition, newer work, DMARC, covers the same general email functional
area and already has garnered quite a bit of deployment and use. Hence
it will clarify things for the marketplace to remove standards status
from the apparently-competing, but actually-useless ADSP specification.

Today I sent a query to the MAAWG Technical committee and the IETF DMARC
mailing lists, to assess support for the status change. Within only a
few hours, I've already seen quite a few +1s, and no -1s.

Thanks.

d/

--
Dave Crocker