Re: Anonymous signed mail

2004-08-30 15:44:15

--- Richard Shockey <richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us> wrote:

NAPTR
to this application, is the question of whether
indirection through the DNS to a TCP based content
server create too high an impact on the Internet at
large.

Please ... see RFC 3761. If we have agreed we are
using the DNS to
essentially set up every phone call on the planet (
two look ups BTW, TN to
URI and then URI to SRV ) and our bizarre friends in
the product goods
industry have decided they want to do a DNS look up
( the Object Name
Service) to find product information on every soup
can on earth....

http://www.epcglobalus.org/Network/how_works.html

have already overloaded the Internet at large and
additional look ups for

"have already overloaded the Internet at large"? I was
not aware that E.NUM and EPC already have wide-scale
deployment and queries at anything approaching the
rate the current email infrastructure will generate.

I see no evidence that anyone knows for sure what the
load impact will be. Even so, my point was not
questioning the DNS infrastructure issue, it was
raising the implications of NAPTR: namely that your
redirection example implies a TCP query in addition to
DNS queries for every key lookup.

The ramp-up of a non-existent infrastructure to
support the possible TCP query rate does concern me a
lot - which is precisely why we suggest using TXT as a
starting trial point with every intention of moving to
something "sanctified" in the long-term.

Regards.