Re: Anonymous signed mail

2004-08-30 13:47:46

--- Richard Shockey <richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us> wrote:

On a related subject ..I'm assuming that there is
already general consensus
that the use of TXT for storing public keys as
described

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-delany-domainkeys-base-01.txt

shall be considered harmful.

I don't think that's entirely clear at all.

It depends on whether you're asking the question as to
whether DNS is the right place for storing such
material in the short or long term and whether TXT is
the right type in the short or long term.

I believe the answer to those four points can all be
different.

I've often thought it was time to start thinking of
using NAPTR records for
such things as PKI since the represent the most
powerful and flex able RR
records we have as in for instance and now would be
a good time to start
using them as in, for example.

Above and beyond relevance of the feature-set of NAPTR
to this application, is the question of whether
indirection through the DNS to a TCP based content
server create too high an impact on the Internet at
large.

Some claim that even a single additional DNS lookup
imposed by this and similar systems (SPF, SENDER-ID)
create an as-yet unknown and possibly unacceptable
load on the DNS infrastructure. In that context,
adding a TCP lookup on top of an additional DNS lookup
adds quiet a load.

Regards.