Re: Anonymous signed mail

2004-08-30 18:09:42

At 06:44 PM 8/30/2004, domainkeys-feedbackbase01(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com wrote:

--- Richard Shockey <richard(_at_)shockey(_dot_)us> wrote:

> NAPTR
> >to this application, is the question of whether
> >indirection through the DNS to a TCP based content
> >server create too high an impact on the Internet at
> >large.
>

> have already overloaded the Internet at large and
> additional look ups for

"have already overloaded the Internet at large"? I was
not aware that E.NUM and EPC already have wide-scale
deployment and queries at anything approaching the
rate the current email infrastructure will generate.

I agree but watch out .. these are protocols in nascent stages of deployment and could increase dramatically within 24 months. Look at SIP based VoIP itself ..it is clearly beginning an exponential growth curve. TN to URI mapping is now inevitable.

I see no evidence that anyone knows for sure what the
load impact will be. Even so, my point was not
questioning the DNS infrastructure issue, it was
raising the implications of NAPTR: namely that your
redirection example implies a TCP query in addition to
DNS queries for every key lookup.

I believe it is worth exploration and needs to be put on the table of options to consider when the WG is formally charted which is my ultimate point. I'm convinced the use of TXT will be considered "harmful" by the IESG and this is clearly the point in time where alternatives must be explored.

The ramp-up of a non-existent infrastructure to
support the possible TCP query rate does concern me a
lot - which is precisely why we suggest using TXT as a
starting trial point with every intention of moving to
something "sanctified" in the long-term.

<sigh> were we to live in a perfect world ...

I'm very afraid of the issue we see MARID concluding on ..we use TXT "for now" but the historical record indicates once you put it in place it will be nearly impossible to remove it from the system.

Regards.

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
46000 Center Oak Plaza  -   Sterling, VA  20166
sip:rshockey(at)iptel.org   sip:57141(_at_)fwd(_dot_)pulver(_dot_)com
ENUM +87810-13313-31331
PSTN Office +1 571.434.5651 PSTN Mobile: +1 703.593.2683,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto:richard(at)shockey.us> or <mailto:richard.shockey(at)neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz> ; <http://www.enum.org>