Re: Why we don't require requirements

2004-09-30 21:38:09

--- wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote:

In
<20041001040921(_dot_)65694(_dot_)qmail(_at_)web40405(_dot_)mail(_dot_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
<domainkeys-feedbackbase01(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> writes:

--- wayne <wayne(_at_)midwestcs(_dot_)com> wrote:

I *very* much agree with this.  One of the things that concerns me
about the proposed charter is it appears to be aimed at creating a
standard rather than selecting a proposal based on merits.

Why does this concern you?

I think John Levine and William *Leibzon* expressed my concerns fairly
well in the following posts (hence my silence on the subject):

http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/mail-archive/msg00144.html
http://www.imc.org/ietf-mailsig/mail-archive/msg00145.html

I'm not saying that a working group should never try to develop a
standard from scratch, but I do have concerns that doing so in the
area of email anti-spam/forgery is likely to lead to problems.

Gotcha. I have to re-read the charter, but if I mis-remember, creating from
scratch is just one option and "embracing and extending" is likewise a valid
option.

Are you saying you want to specifically exclude "creating from scratch" from
the charter?

If not, it seems that we need to leave that option there, even if it's use is
unlikely.

Mark.