Re: draft-delany-nullmx-00.txt

2005-04-07 08:34:49

On Apr 7, 2005, at 9:15 AM, Tony Finch wrote:

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Andrew Newton wrote:

5) Why not "example.org. IN MX 0 _i_send_no_email.example.org."? This avoids
any requery to anything but the local resolvers and example.org.

This is a good suggestion.

Personally, I much prefer something like CSV or SPF where there are no
consequences if concept is unknown to receiver.

I think your suggestion 5 will fulfill that requirement.

Actually, I don't think it does though I think an _i_send_no_email target is a better solution than hitting the root.

I did hear back from our root server team and they are none too thrilled regarding this idea (and suspect the same response from the other root server operators).

They did point out that there are implementations of DNS resolvers out there that do not correctly cache NODATA, therefore this would result in many more A/AAAA queries to the root than would normally occur.

-andy