Re: What am I missing?

2005-07-06 22:11:36

In
<20050707044847(_dot_)80264(_dot_)qmail(_at_)web40427(_dot_)mail(_dot_)yahoo(_dot_)com>
 <domainkeys-feedbackbase02(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)com> writes:

--- wayne <wayne(_at_)schlitt(_dot_)net> wrote:

with semi-colons and see what you see on the other side of dig.

Well, thanks for explaining this.  I, too, was very confused by the
apparently "invalid" syntax of yahoo's own DK records.  I figured I
was just missing something in the spec since I am *not* an expert on
DK.

I've not checked, but I'm guessing that the same issue hasn't shown up wrt SPF
records? Is that so, Wayne?

I know of no cases where SPF records are escaped by dig, but I could
have missed some.  The SPF records syntax doesn't use semi-colons, but
they do use a bunch of other special characters in the set [:=%{}+,-./=_?~].

Domain names can include any visible ascii character other than a
space, so something like "v=spf1 a:;.yahoo.com -all" would be valid,
but I don't think many people have considered using semicolons in a
domain name.  When they want to create a domain name that isn't a
valid host name, most people choose to use an underscore.  I suspect
that most people wouldn't even think that ;.yahoo.com is a valid
domain name.

-wayne