Re: DKIM

2005-07-11 12:26:58

On Jul 11, 2005, at 11:24 AM, william(at)elan.net wrote:
3. Key Size

 From section 3.3.2 -

 "The practical constraint that a 2048 bit key is the largest key that
  fits within a 512 byte DNS UDP response packet"

That is not entirely true. Because you use BASE64 within DNS TXT record
 and because respose is not really 512byte dns udp for data (i.e. it
would include dns "question" and "authority" in addition to "answer").
 The 2048 bit key will not fit in dns.

Having not actually broken out tcpdump and actually done this, I might regret saying this later. That being said, it would seem a 2048 bit key could fit into a 512 octet DNS packet if that DNS packet contained a domain name of no more than 60 characters and only two NS records in the authority section referring to 3 character hostnames under the same domain.

6. DNS RR

 From section 3.7.2.2 -

"Verifiers SHOULD search for a DKIM RR first, if possible, followed by a TXT RR. If the verifier is unable to search for a DKK RR or a DKK RR is
  not found, the verifier MUST search for a TXT RR."

First of what is "DKIM RR" - I assume you meant "DKK RR". Second is that above system (copied from SPF) would lead to double the necessary number of queries. This is not SPF and you have email message with data space available where you can actually say which RR to check (something that I saw and took care of immediatly even in absolute MTA Signatures first spec year ago). The simplest for DKIM syntax is to specify type of record
 as part of "q" tag and instead of using "dns" to mean above search in
DKK RR and TXT RR, specify that "dns/dkk" means search dkk rr is present and "dns/txt" means that txt record is present. You can still do default "dns" and specify that with your search algorithm if you want, but I'd say that having particular available RR specified should be considered
 RECOMMENDED.

This sounds like a pretty good idea.

-andy