Re: DKIM: t=SecondsSince1970

2005-07-15 11:12:02

On July 15, 2005 at 09:24, Michael Thomas wrote:

Plus remember that its only for unix system that seconds after 1970
is native format, for all other systems, they have to convert to it.

I'd say that this is a perfect example of not sweating the
small stuff. Either will work. Both are possible to program.
We made a decision one way. Unless there's actual harm, I
really see no reason to revisit this kind of nit.

Details do matter, especially when it comes to something that
will become an open standard.

I agree from a priority perspective, other aspects of the draft
are higher, but it is worth questioning the choices made even on
small stuff it appears to go against recommended practices.

There exists an RFC (3339) that proposes a generic method for
indicating date/time for Internet protocols, based upon ISO-8601
Seems reasonable to follow it.

A possible exception is to eliminate the use of "-"s and ":"s to
provide a more compact date/time representation.

And has been said before, the ISO format is more readable by
humans, making error diagnosis much easier for administrators.

--ewh