Re: wildcards

2005-07-15 14:47:49

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, John R Levine wrote:

Considering that no scheme like this has been widely deployed,
arguments from authority are not very helpful.

If you're arguing from practice, the practical fact is that at least one
widely used DNS cache, the one in djbdns, doesn't return authority records
so clients can never find the zone cut.

Does it really not return even on SOA request?

This is clearly not what the RFC says but the author argues (rather vehemently) that it's considerably faster than what the RFC says and interoperates just fine with existing clients.

First of supporting users of broken (RFC-ignorant) implementations should not be our main goal.

Besides that as far as I know djbdns cache is not as used as much as djbdns dns server itself and there are several small dns cache-only
servers available on unix that somebody who needs a replacement can very
quickly switch to (changing entire dns server that hosts zone files is a lot harder issue though).

--
William Leibzon
Elan Networks