Re: wildcards, was dkim technology?

2005-07-15 10:18:53

What I've never been clear on is whether zone cuts can't
be used as an *optimization* in many cases such that normally
you'd be doing a max of two lookups, but in some pathological
cases you'd have to do the tree walk. From what I've seen looking
at the authority record seems to often be what you want for
deeply nested subdomains. It's been a while since I've had
this problem swapped in though.

The answer was pretty clearly no.  Zone boundaries aren't supposed to be
interesting to applications, and sometimes aren't even visible if the
authority record doesn't fit in the response.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl(_at_)iecc(_dot_)com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet
for Dummies",
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://iecc.com/johnl, Mayor