Re: nowsp considered harmful

2005-07-20 12:37:49

On Jul 20, 2005, at 11:55 AM, Thomas Roessler wrote:

On 2005-07-20 10:34:24 -0700, Douglas Otis wrote:

While I agree this technique would break the signature,

It wouldn't...

To quote the DKIM draft:
,---
| 5.2.3 Compute the Signature
| With the exception of the canonicalization procedure
| described in section XINDX, the DKIM signing process treats
| the body of messages as simply a string of characters. DKIM
| messages MAY be either in plain-text or in MIME format; no
| special treatment is afforded to MIME content. Message
| attachments in MIME format MUST be included in the content
| which is signed.
'---

Until Dave gets XINDX to resolve, I am guessing that the signature treats the message without considering the content which includes MIME syntax. I would also add that Earl's list of items concerning the lone CR LF is a bit in conflict with the instructions placed within DKIM about preprocessing. It seems the draft should have included a mention of line length as well. Earl's list is also a bit vague about white space at the end of a line. I read that to mean white space preceding the CRLF.

-Doug