Re: nowsp considered harmful

2005-07-20 14:53:27

----- Original Message -----
From: "Michael Thomas" <mike(_at_)mtcc(_dot_)com>

Likewise, there are a lot of things that innocently mangle messages
in transit. This is a tradeoff. Things that really, really want
assurance that their message is not tampered with should use
simple.

Wouldn't systems that want strong assurances would use non-relayed DKIM
policies "o=-" (minus)?

I don't think the issue is nowsp or simple or whatever method is used, but
rather how easy it can be broken and what concerns me (as a vendor), is how
are we implement, support,  document or present this to customers. I
certainly do not want to pass the buck to our own support staff.

I think what is missing from the o= Outbound signing policy is maybe a
policy that says how to handle broken verifications.  o=- only addresses
non-signed mail.

Just for the sake of example, lets use o=$ (high value email)

This would be defined as (only a suggestion)

o=$ (High Value Email)

     All mail from the entity is signed; unsigned email
     MUST NOT be accepted, but email signed by a
     third party SHOULD be accepted.  All mail that fails
     verification due to some broken DKIM entity SHOULD be
     reported to company (r=) [before accepting].

This provides some clues for operational flow for vendors and operators.

http://www.santronics.com