Re: revised Proposed Charter

2005-07-28 07:25:38

Andrew Newton wrote:

On Jul 27, 2005, at 8:14 PM, Douglas Otis wrote:

Due to the above average resources consumed by public keys, the number of separate keys should be kept proportional to what is required to authenticate physical sources within the domain. Excessive quantities of these public keys in DNS, when employed by an application as ubiquitous as email, may negatively impact DNS performance and stability.

This is good, except "resources" may be too generic. I was specifically noting the memory footprint. I don't believe CPU overhead or bandwidth utilization directly impacts the cache, though these may impact the system. I would recommend swapping out "resources" for "memory".

Instead of hand-wringing here, it would be nice ot know whether this
is a real problem or not. I had a lot of the same fears, but Mark
produced some stats from Y!'s mail server's use of DNS which showed
this to be essentially a non-problem(*) -- and Y! is certainly going to
be as a worst a case scenario as I can think of. If Mark's experience
turns out to be the norm, either we should say nothing, or mention
that the worry here turns out to be a non-issue.

                Mike

[*] if I recall correctly, he said that their dns cache for their
    mail servers outbound was ~20k entries. Even 4-5x more seems
    pretty insignificant given cheap memory, etc.