Re: DKIM KEY SSP Override Option [was Re: The cost of choices]

2005-07-29 12:06:54

Hector Santos wrote:

For example:  santronics.com

Mail Flow Requirements:

1) I might want an exclusive policy for general
   business/vendor communications where exclusive
   outbound is only from santronics.com network.

2) I want a relaxed policy for non-business traffic
   sent by our servers, i.e., a mailing list.

The general topology is:

        MUA ---> MSA/MTA ---> MDA

The final designation MDA  is a DKIM ready verifier and signer too.

Now at my santronics.com MTA, I have a configuration:

   SELECTOR  business
   SELECTOR  non-business mailinglist.com

If my target address is mailinglist.com , the MTA will use the non-business
selector.  Otherwise, the default will use the business selector.

I use a STRONG policy for non-business
I use a EXCLUSIVE policy for business (which is the default)

Something you have to remember here is that  the signing policy lookup DOES
NOT have any selector to provide it a path into the DNS. All you know is what's in the domain part of the From: address because... there's no signature. Thus you
always have to have the _policy record available at a fixed location.

We've thought quite a lot about this and it really looks like the only reasonable way to deal with this is to segregate the traffic into different subdomains (yes, I hear the groans) with different policies. The alternative is that you need to enumerate all of the policies at one level of the DNS tree which is unattractive
given MTU considerations.  Thus, you'd want:

_policy._domainkey.biz.santronix.com. IN TXT "o=!;"

_policy._domainkey.santronix.com. IN TXT "o=-;"

or something like that.

      Mike