RE: alternate key server mechanisms

2005-07-30 05:39:42

From: Dave Crocker [mailto:dhc(_at_)dcrocker(_dot_)net]

It is also not clear that it is enforceable in any way other
than developing the
entire architecture from the start, which thereby misses the
benefits of starting simply.

Architectures developed incrementally are inevitably piecemeal.

If you are doing the architecture right the system gets simpler as you
add more requirements.

XKMS is capable of doing everything that PKIX does, only it can be
implemented in about 2,000 lines of code rather than 250,000+

The approach you describe is something I would never ever do, it is the
way to end up with an ad-hoc spec that cannot be extended in practice.

I always consider as many uses as possible, whether in the scope of the
spec or not.