Re: IPR disclosures?

2005-08-01 04:21:29

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sam Hartman" <hartmans-ietf(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
To: "Dave Crocker" <dcrocker(_at_)bbiw(_dot_)net>
Sent: Monday, August 01, 2005 4:43 AM
Subject: Re: IPR disclosures?

The only issue I can see the BOF discussing is requirements
on IPR that would need to be met for people to feel the
technology could be deployed.  I don't know if that
would be useful or not.

Well, I'm not a IETF vet so I don't pretend to know your procedures. But I
will speak my mind.

The technology is, how should I put it without offending anyone?
"half-baked" and many of us, the IETF public, including myself, are doing
work to resolve its problems and weaknesses.

What "bothers" me is if an organization is going begin to play games and
place IP restrictions on ideas the IETF public worked out for them.

I find myself holding back a lot and if Yahoo and/or Cisco are going go be
screwing around with IP issues here,  well, then maybe they should do their
own R&D on it.

http://www.santronics.com