Re: bounce, mta, & mua (was Re: sieve draft)

1997-11-19 12:09:53
** Reply to note from Tomas Fasth <tomas(_dot_)fasth(_at_)twinspot(_dot_)net>
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 17:06:33 +0100

This is incorrect.  UAs will have access to the "MAIL FROM" address unless
an upstream system violated Internet standards.  The final delivery agent
is REQUIRED to copy the "MAIL FROM" address into the "Return-Path"
header.  Anything which doesn't is broken.

Chris, can you give us the exact location in an RFC that backs up your
assertion? I'm not sure it is required and I'm not sure you can ever
rely
on it's existence once the message have moved into the domain of the
MUA.

If you're right, my FreeBSD "out-of-the-box" installation is certainly
broken. The "P" flag required to generate the Return-Path header is
_not_
set for the local mailer by default. I don't know why, but the very
existence of this discrepency (the fact that it's optional) is enough
for
me to maintain that this header might not always be available. Period.

RFC 1123 Section 5.2.8:

         When the receiver-SMTP makes "final delivery" of a message,
         then it MUST pass the MAIL FROM: address from the SMTP envelope
         with the message, for use if an error notification message must
         be sent later (see Section 5.3.3).  There is an analogous
         requirement when gatewaying from the Internet into a different
         mail environment; see Section 5.3.7.

         DISCUSSION:
              Note that the final reply to the DATA command depends only
              upon the successful transfer and storage of the message.
              Any problem with the destination address(es) must either
              (1) have been reported in an SMTP error reply to the RCPT
              command(s), or (2) be reported in a later error message
              mailed to the originator.

         IMPLEMENTATION:
              The MAIL FROM: information may be passed as a parameter or
              in a Return-Path: line inserted at the beginning of the
              message.

Paul

Position Announcement: Needed hardworking person with organizational
skills, devotion to OS/2, plenty of spare time. No pay, no benefits.
Apply by self-nomination :-)
Paul Hethmon
phethmon(_at_)hethmon(_dot_)com
Inet.Mail Internet Mail Server                     http://www.hethmon.com