Re: MTA Filters BOF request, LA IETF; Proposed Charter

1998-01-12 16:50:39
--On Mon, Jan 12, 1998 18:45 -0500 "Keith Moore"
<moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> wrote:

the filtering language might be thought of as a separate piece, but it's
going to need some sort of transfer protocol with authentication to be
useful in this scenario.

I think Lyndon mentioned that this has been one of the envisioned uses of
ACAP, although ACAP's obviously not a necessary prerequisite. A secure
telnet connection would do the same job, of course. Don't get me started on
SSL 8-), but http is used to slice cheese and treat cancer, and is probably
the most popular transport mechanism for moving around proprietary forms of
these rules these days (check out one of those free email with a web browser
services, or one of the Yahoo-style 'personal' content filters), so I guess
I should (shudder) mention it as another candidate.

In any event, I don't see the requirement for a separate transfer protocol.

Matthew Wall                       mailto:wall(_at_)cyrusoft(_dot_)com
Cyrusoft International, Inc.       http://www.cyrusoft.com
Voice: 412 605 0499                Fax: 412 605 0705
     Proud Purveyors of the Mulberry IMAP Email Client