Re: List of expected changes for sieve 05 draft

1998-11-18 19:30:15
Tim Showalter wrote:

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 11:47:53 -0800 (PST)
From: Ned Freed <Ned(_dot_)Freed(_at_)innosoft(_dot_)com>

...which also allows '["from", "rcpt"]' for more flexibility.

What a great idea! I really like this approach, even though it isn't what
I implemented.

I'm writing this now and it occurs to me that it might be clearer if
that's "from" and "to" instead of "from" and "rcpt".

This is a nice approach, though.

How about "mail-from" and "rcpt-to" to make them more consistent with
the smtp envelope verbs?

To my mind this makes things less consistent, not more. MAIL FROM can have many
parameters, the FROM address being just one of them. And RCPT TO has, if
anything, even more. So to me mail-from identifies a bunch of stuff and so does
rcpt-to.

But since the set of parameters to MAIL FROM and RCPT TO is currently disjoint,
and is likely to remain that way, it seems more consistent to me to go by
parameter name, with the "special" parameter names FROM and TO for the
special, initial parameters.

I also _really_ don't like the use of minus in these names. I thought this came
up some time ago and it was decided that we wouldn't use minus in names. Of
course this can simply be cured by using underscores instead.

                                Ned