Re: Multiple actions in Sieve script.

1999-01-22 18:51:00
At 8:24 PM -0500 1/22/99, Tim Showalter wrote:

No.  I wasn't clear.  I find the terminology "FileInto" and "CopyInto"
confusing because the terms do not clearly specify what they do.

Actually, neither do "FileOnlyInto" and "FileInto" or whatever.  Blah.

My intent was that many "FileInto"s can be obeyed IF the server supports
FileInto at all.

If the server supports "FileOnlyInto", only one invocation works (either
the first or the last).

Ack.  Perhaps "MoveInto" is best, and the last one is the only one
obeyed.  I dunno.

Are we at least agreed that we need one action which indicates into which mailbox the message should be delivered, and that if more than one of these actions is executed, only one is actually obeyed? And that we need an action which is optional to support and which causes the message to be placed in a specified mailbox in addition to any other invocations of this action, or any invocation of the deliver action?

Or do some people disagree, and feel we need an action (optional to support) which can be invoked any number of times, each time causing the message to be delivered into a mailbox?

The difference is that the in the first case we really do have a FileInto and a CopyInto, and a script would be expected to execute one FileInto, and zero or more CopyIntos. The second case is harder to name, because we have a FileInto (must implement) and something else which is optional, call it OptionalFileInto. A script can be expected to execute one or more OptionalFileIntos on systems which support it, and alternatively one FileInto on systems which do not support OptionalFileInto.