Re: Is envelope missing :comparator arguement?

1999-02-23 11:56:24
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 17:21:35 -0500
From: Gregory Sereda <gsereda(_at_)maillennium(_dot_)att(_dot_)com>

At 05:02 PM 2/22/99 -0500, Tim Showalter wrote:
I don't see a good reason that COMPARATOR can't apply to the whole
address, it's just useless on the right-side.  Right?

If we canonicalize the domain-part to (say) lower case, then we have
effectively defined the domain-part comparator as "i:ascii-casemap".
That is why I say the COMPARATOR applies only to the localpart.
I thought I was saying the same thing you were saying.

I'm not sure about this.  I'm pretty sure I'm missing something.  I
don't think the two things are identical in any case.

Actually, I like stating that domain part of address will always
use the comparator "i;ascii-casemap".  Because if you only
canonoicalize the message (and not the script), the following
will always be false:

      if address :is :all "from" "SMITH(_at_)AOL(_dot_)COM" {
              discard;
      }

If you canonicalize both the message and script domain parts to
lowercase, you are doing an "i;ascii-casemap" compare regardless
of what COMPARATOR you have specified.  Right?

The problem is that in a script like

        if address :all :contains "from" "andrew"

both andrew(_at_)kgb(_dot_)org and tjs(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu match.

I think that at this point I agree with you; comaprator for address and
header works against only the local-part and not the domain-part, and
i;ascii-casemap just happens to be the default (I don't want to make
this a special case, and I doubt that anyone else does, either).  I
don't think it's that much harder to write, but I could be wrong.

If we do this, everything I said about canonicalizing the domain-part to
(say) lower-case is useless.

Tim

--
Tim Showalter <tjs+(_at_)andrew(_dot_)cmu(_dot_)edu>