Re: sieve vacation draft, really

1999-02-23 00:45:16
+----- On 22 Feb 1999 16:11:15 EST, Tim Showalter writes:
| > Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 13:42:22 +0100
| > From: Michael Salmon <Michael(_dot_)Salmon(_at_)uab(_dot_)ericsson(_dot_)se>
|
| I am sending this as a personal reply because the message I am replying
| to was not sent to the mailing list.  Please feel free to send the reply
| to this to the mailing list, though.

Maybe I need an extension to sieve that can add reply-to for me ;^).

| > +----- On 17 Feb 1999 16:50:57 EST, Tim Showalter writes:
| > [...]
| > |
| > | What's the problem?
| > |
| > | I don't have strong motivation for making multiple vacations in a single
| > | script act specially, although I believe that a given script should only
| > | send out a vacation message once.
| >
| > I agree that only one message should be sent but the text may vary
| > depending upon the address I received the message as and who sent the
| > message.
|
| Ok, what do I need to change in the text to make this work?  I assumed
| this was obvious.

That one can have multiple vacations is at least not forbidden but what
I am interested in is how :days is handled. If I send a message to you
with :days 7 and after 6 days you trigger another vacation with
a :days of 5 which applies.

That was what I saw as a problem but the behaviour probably doesn't
need to be defined.

| > |
| > | I oppose this on two grounds: first, how does one clear the respondant
| > | lists?  Such things are very implementation dependant, and I'd rather
| > | just not discuss them.  Second, Those features are in vacation for
| > | safety reasons; earlier drafts had a command that did not have them
| > | called "reply" that were removed for these reasons.
| >
| > I agree that it could be hard to define but vacation clears respondent
| > list (vacation.{pag,dir}) whenever the message is edited, it was that
| > functionality that I wanted.
|
| I don't know that I can guarantee a way of doing that.  Modtimes are
| availible in all the cases I can think of, but I'm not sure what to do
| here.
|
| I can think of a good way of implementing it though that is robust and
| not real hard, so we could do this, if you'll discuss it on the mailing
| list.  I'm a little worried about people changing the messages too
| often, though.

One think that I thought of was that if I can edit the sieve script
then I am not on vacation anymore or I am about to start another and
that the list should be cleared. What I would like is for every
vacation statement to have a list of it's own based on the message,
when a particular message disappears it's list disappears, the creation
and destruction of recipient lists is handled as part of the checking
of the script. I think that that is too hard to implement but that
doesn't make it undesirable.

/Michael