Re: draft-murchison-sieve-subaddress-01

2000-09-12 19:06:00
At 9:34 PM -0400 9/12/00, Ken Murchison wrote:

 Randall Gellens wrote:

 I think it's useful.  You also bring up a good point, which is that
 if a Sieve implementation supports userdetail, the ":user" portion
 of an address does *not* include the detail.

 So, you think that I should continue work on the draft?

I think so.  Anyone else?

 Are you suggesting that the capability should be userdetail instead of
 subaddress?  I really don't like subaddress and have been searching for
 something better.

Doesn't much matter to me. I think "userdetail" may be more familiar to those who know what the feature is.

 Do you have any problems with :user and :detail as the optional
 arguments?  Suggestions for something better?

Works for me.

 Any suggested text for discussing different user/detail separators?

I'd probably have a new section between current 2 and 3, called "Definitions" or some such, and say something like:

--------

A system supports user-detail addressing (also sometimes called "subaddressing") if there is a character which can be appended to the local part of an email address such that it and all following characters of the local part are ignored for purposes of determining the addressed user. This character is called the "detail separator" and is often a plus sign ("+"). Generally, email systems which support user-detail addressing attempt to deliver a message into the user's mailbox whose name matches the detail. If such a mailbox doesn't exist, or if the delivery is into a single-mailbox location (such as POP), the detail is ignored.

For example, a message addressed to "susie+q(_at_)example(_dot_)org" might be delivered into a mailbox called "q" belonging to the user "susie". If Susie does not have a mailbox "q", the message is delivered into the default location.

-------

Later on, I'd say that if a Sieve implementation supports the "userdetail" capability, the ":user" portion of an address does not include the detail separator or the detail. For example, the address "susie+q(_at_)example(_dot_)org" has a ":user" portion of "susie", a ":detail" portion of "q", a ":localpart" of "susie+q", and a ":domain" of "example.org".