Re: spamtest vs. "relational" extension

2002-07-26 13:04:26

I noticed that "spamtest" uses :ge, :gt, etc. operators that
implicitly apply to a number value returned by the internal test.

We've seen those operators before -- in the ":count" and ":value"
match types that are part of Wolfgang Segmuller's "relational" extension.
But there, the syntax is slightly different; one writes

      header :value "ge" "X-Priority" "3"     # "relational" extension

rather than

      header :ge "X-Priority" "3"             # ungrammatical

If "spamtest" were changed to simply produced a string and then just
apply a generic match type to it -- similar to the existing address,
header, and envelope operators --

      Suggested Syntax: spamtest MATCH-TYPE <key-list: string-list>

one could reuse the "relational" :value and :comparator behavior.

(The "i;ascii-numeric" operator maps all non-number strings to the
same out-of-band value that sorts higher than any number.  It also
ignores trailing garbage after a number.)

That would allow a scheme where the spamtest module publishes
a list of keyword criteria that made a message spam, along with
the initial numeric value,

      8 money; unsubscribe-clause; this-is-not-spam; invalid-from;

and users could match against the value (using ":value" and
"i;ascii-numeric") or against any of the keyword descriptions
(using :contains).

A message that for whatever reason hasn't been scanned would have
a NULL spamtest value that does not :match or :contain anything.

FWIW, I agree with this assessment. Spamtest should be cast in terms of
the relational extension if at all possible.

Side question: Is it time to last call the relational extension?

                                Ned