Re: Sieve extension to expire mails?

2004-03-11 07:27:40

Michael Haardt writes:
If Sieve makes that promise, yes, but that's not what I was talking about. I didn't talk about a privacy feature, either, but about a convenience feature, and that's why I don't have a "privacy/security issue".

It's a privacy/security issue the moment a user misunderstands, and relies on the feature.

FWIW, I also don't like the idea of sieve managing folder properties. That seems to be out of scope for sieve.

That's a point I can understand. If Sieve focuses only on messages, then manipulating persistent folder attributes would be simply out of scope. Does it focus strictly on messages, not folders, despite folders containing messages?

Yes. Sieve ignores folders almost entirely. (Except that fileinto may create a folder.)

If so, how about message attributes to allow expiration to happen?

Much better.

Such attributes are called annotations in IMAPspeak, and they're supported by the ANNOTATE extension, which is itself still a draft and not terribly widely implemented. If there isn't yet a sieve extension to set a message annotation, there certainly should be.

Arnt