Re: Sieve extension to expire mails?

2004-03-12 16:50:52

On Fri, Mar 12, 2004 at 03:13:51PM -0800,
ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com wrote:

Sure it does. Folders normally retain messages until they are deleted.
This changes that semantics rather completely, don't you think?

I don't think so, and that's an opinion that I was trying to convey.
Perhaps there's a distinction centering around "deleted by whom?"  My
attitude is that the owner of a mailbox could legitimately instruct a
delivery agent to manipulate that mailbox as part of delivery.  One of
those instructions could be "delete the oldest message [under some
condition]".  I see no philosophical difference between that
instruction and manually hitting the 'd' key.  This introduces no new
storage semantics nor any new operational semantics.  It does wrap up
a few primitive operations into a higher level function, but that
doesn't make those operations new.  (Making them more granular would
actually be to my liking.)

Just me, I guess?

-mm-