Re: draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt; http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/SieveExtensionsSupportMatrix

2004-08-10 16:32:51

On man, 2004-08-09 at 22:46 -0700, Matthew Elvey wrote:
1) Belatedly announcing, in case folks missed it:
    http://www1.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt

    Last discussion post on 'refuse' was my post on 6/8/04.
    I believe 'refuse' is ready for last call.

I think this draft doesn't go far enough:  it should state the rules for
running a Sieve script before the message is accepted.  it can be kept
quite simple: a Sieve script can be run after RCPT TO, but only "stop"
and "refuse" are acted on.  tests against headers before DATA will
likewise fail.  there is no implicit keep.

this allows me to write

  if envelope "To" "kjetilho(_at_)mnemosyne(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no" {
     refuse "This address has been discontinued"; stop;
  }
  fileinto "INBOX.whatever";

if the test fails, control passes to the fileinto which is ignored,
otherwise, the e-mail is refused.  only after acceptance of the message
after DATA will the fileinto be executed.  (an implementation may elect
to run the Sieve script only once, after DATA.)

I strongly object to section 4.2 of the draft.  it must not be possible
to "reject" a message but actually store it.  we should not condone
lying about whether a message was accepted or not.
--
Kjetil T.