Re: draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt (multi-reply)

2004-08-12 02:46:36

On Wed, 2004-08-11 at 16:30 -0700, Matthew Elvey wrote:
On 8/10/2004 4:30 PM, Kjetil Torgrim Homme sent forth electrons to convey:
I think this draft doesn't go far enough: it should state the rules for
running a Sieve script before the message is accepted. it can be kept
quite simple: a Sieve script can be run after RCPT TO, but only "stop"
and "refuse" are acted on. tests against headers before DATA will
likewise fail. there is no implicit keep.

This is out of scope.  An extension allowing sieve scripts to run early
in the SMTP conversation may well be a good idea, however.

I don't agree, since I can't think of any other actions than "refuse"
which make any sense before DATA.

Normally, Sieve should (BCP) run after the end-of-data (CRLF.CRLF) has
been sent, but not acknowledged.

My sieve script would do all sorts of crazy things under the scheme
suggested.   I'd probably have to very carefully debug it, e.g.  |not
header ||:||contains ||"Subject"... would always trigger?...

I don't quite understand your example, but I don't think it is a problem
according to the set of rules I quickly outlined.  think of "stop" as
"accept", "refuse" as, well, "refuse", and every other action as "no-
op".  default behaviour (when the execution of the script reaches the
end of file) is "accept".

it may be worth noting that an MTA can compile a script into two forms,
one for running after RCPT TO, one for after DATA.  a very simple
optimisation is to transform any script which isn't using both the
"refuse" and the "envelope" extensions into simply "stop" (or "accept",
if you will).

--
Kjetil T.