Re: draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt; http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/Sieve ExtensionsSupportMatrix

2004-08-10 16:51:56

Hi Kjetil,

--On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 1:33 AM +0200 Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> wrote:

I disagree: just because the text for the two may be different
doesn't mean I want to be forced to choose which of the two is done.
I would prefer to be able to say "do an SMTP-level reject if you
can with _this_ text, else send an MDN with _this_ text".

I think "reject" should be deprecated.  it is never appropriate to send
an MDN.  the tests available in Sieve today are not sufficient to have
any chance of avoiding being an accomplice in a joe-job attack.

Well what is the difference between a DSN and an MDN joe-job? The reality is that even refuse suffers from this problem as there are several cases where refuse results in a DSN joe-job (in fact I think it will be the majority of cases). The only way to really address this is to only allow discard.

Also this assumes that you are only using sieve for spam filtering, but there are other legitimate uses for it!

--
Cyrus Daboo