Re: draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt; http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/SieveExtensionsSupportMatrix

2004-08-10 11:35:02

On 8/10/2004 8:13 AM, Cyrus Daboo sent forth electrons to convey:

Hi Matthew,

--On Monday, August 09, 2004 10:46 PM -0700 Matthew Elvey <matthew(_at_)elvey(_dot_)com> wrote:

1) Belatedly announcing, in case folks missed it:
    http://www1.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt

    Last discussion post on 'refuse' was my post on 6/8/04.
    I believe 'refuse' is ready for last call.

There was some discussion at the lunch BOF last week about the utility of refuse.

Cool; wish I coulda been there/participated. Anyone take minutes? (edit: I just heard that Alexey has notes he may share.)

There was general consensus among the participants that it would be better to extend reject to allow for SMTP refusal and DSN generation rather than add a new command. Personally I prefer that approach - but the issue needs more discussion on the list.

We've probably been over this before, but can you explain in detail why you think a new command is better than extending the behaviour of reject?

So the idea is just a syntax change, yes?
What's the gist of the argument for the change? I can't think of any strong arguments against the change; here are some less strong arguments: 1)A normal extension (the current 'refuse') is a cleaner implementation in the sense that it's a standard extension - something that's well understood, instead of something that makes the base Sieve RFC 'wrong' by changing it. 2)It's already written and debugged.

Arguments for the change:
1)A change won't break anything, according to the URL below.

Have we done something like this (e.g. modify an action to accept a special parameter flag) before?

2) http://wiki.fastmail.fm/wiki/index.php/SieveExtensionsSupportMatrix
might make a good addition to http://cyrusoft.com/sieve/.

I am planning on several updates to our webpage and will add a link to your page at the same time.

Great.