Re: draft-elvey-refuse-sieve-02.txt

2004-08-10 17:25:31

Hi Kjetil,

--On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 2:01 AM +0200 Kjetil Torgrim Homme <kjetilho(_at_)ifi(_dot_)uio(_dot_)no> wrote:

yes, as it stands, few mail clusters will be able to do this right, but
it would be nice if we made it possible.  Sieve is today typically run
by the MDA only, and a refuce in the LMTP dialogue is as you imply of
little value.  this extension should allow the MTA to run the Sieve
script, _in_addition_to_ the MDA.  this way, we can do the refuse on the
border and avoid the DSN joejob problem (or at least drastically
minimise it).

The effectiveness of reducing joe-job DSNs depends on exactly how the original spam message is being submitted and sent. If the submission server (MSA) is the client that connects to the final delivery server (MDA) where SIEVE is being run, then the DSN/MDN is avoided. However, if there is one or more intervening MTA's relaying the message, then a DSN will always be generated by the client connecting to the MDA when the script does the SMTP error refuse. So the question is how many messages fall into these two categories: 'direct' delivery vs 'relayed' delivery. That will determine the real effectiveness of refuse.

--
Cyrus Daboo