Re: Collected comments for draft-ietf-sieve-body-00.txt

2005-05-03 15:00:35

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 12:37 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
On Sun, May 01, 2005 at 06:27:14PM -0700, Philip Guenther wrote:
An implementation that wanted to support it could enable capturing
from 'body' matches into variables using another extension...

Yikes.  My vote is still to allow the match results to be set from a
body test; requiring another extension just to do that seems like
planning for a patch to correct the lack of it.  As always, that's just
MHO; I don't really understand why setting the match result is not
wanted.  What's the reason for forbidding it?  As I say, it's unfriendly
to a general match implementation.  If it's a matter of protecting
against huge match strings, I'd rather see some pragmatic limits (as I
said in the thread previously, along with other bits about pragmatic
limits on body testing).

indeed the variables draft includes this text which was meant to cover
this issue:

6.  Implementation Limits

   An implementation of this draft MUST support at least 128 distinct
   variables.  The supported length of variable names MUST be at least
   32 characters.  Each variable MUST be able to hold at least 4000
   characters.  Attempts to set the variable to a value larger than what
   the implementation supports SHOULD be reported as an error at
   compile-time if possible.  If the attempt is discovered during run-
   time, the value SHOULD be truncated and it MUST NOT be treated as an
   error.

--
Kjetil T.