Re: Stripping leading/trailing spaces in relational draft

2005-09-26 02:32:16

Kjetil Torgrim Homme wrote:

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 13:26 -0400, Mark E. Mallett wrote:
On Wed, Sep 21, 2005 at 04:41:58PM +0100, Alexey Melnikov wrote:
Hi folks,
One of the questions raised during the WGLC of draft-ietf-sieve-3431bis-01.txt was concerning the following text in the draft:
3.1.  Match Type Value
[...]
 Leading and trailing white space MUST be removed from the value of
 the message for the comparison.  White space is defined as

     SP / HTAB / CRLF
I would like to poll people who've implemented the relational draft/RFC if they've been following this rule.
Yes but probably not because of that draft, but because that's what the
associated tests do, relational or not.  As I mentioned, if I had [yet]
implemented the variables draft, I probably would question the
whitespace skipping on the first argument in the "string" test.

well, this stripping only happens for relational tests, not ":is" and
friends.  although it's a trap for the unwary, it's not a big problem,
IMO.  you can work around it when needed by using explicit begin and end
markers in both strings:

       if string :gt "!${var1}!" "!${var2}!" ...

an example of this technique may be useful.
This would work but it is a hack!
I would rather say that for headers, relational strips leading and trailing spaces, but for other things, like addresses and variables - it does not.