Re: Stripping leading/trailing spaces in relational draft

2005-10-11 16:30:37

Well, I think *all* comparisons should strip leading and trailing
white space

would you want the base spec to say that this stripping should be done
for _all_ tests?  my feeling is that we may regret that in the future,

Yes, that is, indeed, what I said (and meant).  Both sides of every
equation.  Why do you think we'll regret it?

As I said, in my experience I have NEVER encountered a situation where
anyone WANTED, say, "xyz" and "xyz " not to match, and I've only seen
it cause time-wasting confusion, as people tried to figure out why
something wasn't working as they expected it to.

But if people think otherwise, I'm happy to go along with it.  It's
just my opinion, here, that's all.

Barry

--
Barry Leiba, Pervasive Computing Technology
(leiba(_at_)watson(_dot_)ibm(_dot_)com)